Tuesday, March 1

Easy Photo Resizing Tutorial


This morning I thought I would share how I resize my photos that get posted here the blog. When i first started I was using photobucket. Not only did it take a while to upload to photobucket, but I also had to link back to them and edit them as well. After a few posts, I decided to use Blogger's built in photo hosting program. With it, I can post about a gig's worth of photos. Now I know that is a lot, but I want to be able to leave stuff up on this blog for a while and not have to worry about taking it down in the future.



So after a day or so of playing around with different options I cam up with the following method. I'll be using a desktop photo that I got from Square-Enix's website for Final Fantasy 13. You may have to click on the photos to see the text in the menu options.

Here is the original photo. It's 883kb. Not too bad, but we can trim the fat a little.


Open your photo in Microsoft Picture Manager.


Across the top at the far right you'll see an option labled "Edit Pictures". Click on that, and a menu bar will appear on the right side of the screen.


The last two options in that bar are the ones that we will be focusing on, "Resize" and "Compress Pictures". Let's start with "Resize". Select it, and in the new menu choose the second radio button "Predefined width x height". Select "Web - Large (640px x 480px)".


Now that we have changed the size of the photo, we can change the amount of space it takes up. Go back to the top menu bar and click on "Edit Pictures" again, and this time select the last option in the menu bar on the right, "Compress Pictures". Here you have several options. If you want to keep the photo large, choose the "Document" option. For smaller file sizes, choose "Web Page". For this tutorial, I've went ahead chosen "Web Page".


Notice that the file size is now a tenth of what I started with. Its now 85.8kb! This is great option for trying to save space or to use as a click-able photo link to get to the higher resolution image.

Hopefully this will help some you out there!

1 comment:

  1. I was used to do something like this.
    But then I found Flickr. It resize your pics in 6 versions for each, allowing you to have from a square for an avatar, to the normal pic, going through a pic that's OK to use for clickable pic link to get the full version.

    And uploading your pics elsewhere works a little faster. You avoid problems that Blogger could have. And mostly, you don't get the message from blogger (and the related picassa account): "your save space is full, upgrade or forget about uploading more pics"! xD

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete