- Your building from last week.
- Hard board bases cut and sanded.
- Paint and gluing supplies.
- Foam insulation board.
- Resin (store bought) crystals.
So to pick up where we left off last week, I have a half built Manufactorum building. I didn't feel like it was quite finished, so I added another corner section to the building and some extra bits lying around the floor.
|Manufactorum finished with sanded base.|
I like to leave my building bases pretty clear so models can move around easily. Lots of rubble looks awesome, but is a pain to get models to stand. My mantra, simple is best when it comes to terrain. So this being a Adeptus Mechanicus building, I figured it should be a shade of red. For buildings, I tend to prime them black with spray primer then go to town dry brushing. For a good deep red paint job, I started with a dark brown acrylic paint (from Wal-mart). I give the building a heavy dry brush almost covering the entire thing, then move on to a dark maroon color (similar to scab red) and give another heavy dry brushing. Once this is dry I give a light dry brush of a bright red, similar to blood red. Once finished and truly dry, I add some weathering. Since this is a desert, I figured there wouldn't be any rust, so I just went straight to worn edges and paint. I use a small natural sea sponge to dab on small amounts of boltgun metal. This can be as light or heavy as you like. Just remember its easier to add more than to take away.
|Dry brushed with a fresh coat of paint on the sand.|
|I promise they look much better in person.|
|You can see I added sand around the inside to cover up any gaps.|
So I had just played a game with my Necrons and then saw these really cool looking green crystals at my local shop. I thought, "Damn, how perfect are those for my table!" So home they went with me. I didn't think these crystals needed much beyond a base, so I went to work right away. After testing some out on a flat base, I decided (before I glued anything) to raise the large clusters up slightly before gluing them. I wanted to give the impression that they sprouted from the ground and the the sand collected around them. I simply took some 1/2" foam insulation board I had sitting around and cut them like I would a mini hill. I then gouged out a small hole for the crystals to fit into. Using white glue I glued the foam and crystals to the bases. There were small crystal clusters too, so I simply gathered them together in a aesthetically pleasing manner and super glued them down.
|Two of the three bases ready for sand.|
After drying overnight I glued the sand to the bases and then added paint once the sand dried. I think they turned out pretty well and look great with my Necrons on the table. Here is the final product...
|All three bases completed.|
Here's a sneak peek at the work in progress building...
|That tile floor is just screaming for a freehand symbol of some sort!|
Hope you enjoyed this and thanks for reading. Until next time...